Extract from Understanding the Divine Gut by Scott Mathias CHHC.AADP
As the holiday season is on us, many are wondering how to enjoy festive treats while keeping a healthy gut. Here are 5 joyful ways to support your digestive system, so you can savour this special time without the discomfort of bloating or reflux.
1. Embrace Festive Fermented Foods: Incorporate probiotic-rich foods into your holiday meals. Think cranberry-flavored kombucha, pumpkin spice kefir, or a side of festive sauerkraut. These foods not only add a unique twist to your table but also boost your gut microbiome.
2. Feast on a Plant-Based Holiday Spread: Studies suggest a vegetarian diet can enhance gut health. For your holiday dinner, consider a plant-based menu. Delight in roasted winter vegetables, quinoa-stuffed bell peppers, and other vibrant, gut-friendly dishes.
3. Pick Prebiotic-Rich Seasonal Veggies: Opt for seasonal produce rich in prebiotics. Winter favourites like garlic-roasted Brussels sprouts or a warm onion and leek soup not only comfort the soul but also nourish your gut bacteria. If your season is summer then think broccolini bringing nourishment to your gut along with French breakfast radishes.
4. Say No to Sugary Temptations: The holidays are rife with sugary treats, but for the sake of your gut, limit refined sugars. Enjoy natural sweeteners like coconut palm syrup in your gingerbread, or savour the natural sweetness of fruits in your desserts. Also consider making your very own plant-based vegan pavlova. RECIPE HERE
Source: Project Vegan Bakery
5. Manage Holiday Stress: The hustle of the festive season can be overwhelming. Prioritize relaxation through mindful activities like gentle yoga amid twinkling lights or a peaceful walk in a snow-draped forest. Embrace the joy of the season and let go of stress, a known disruptor of gut health.
Extra Seasonal Tips: Keep active with fun holiday activities, ensure restful sleep despite the excitement, and consider natural alternatives to over-the-counter remedies. Adding a touch of Papain Enzyme to your diet can also promote protein digestion and enhance gut function.
Remember, while these tips are backed by science, it's always best to consult with a health professional for personalized advice.
Enjoy a gut-happy holiday season!